We are seeking a new chair of the trustees as we embark on an exciting new phase for the charity which was founded in 1981 to promote the benefits of all-round health for body, mind and planet. For over forty years we have provided a wide range of classes including yoga, Pilates, ballet and dance, relaxation techniques and much more, along with mindful movement outreach programmes which benefit vulnerable groups in the city.
The charity’s work has helped generate a city-wide revolution where there is a wellness studio on nearly every corner providing a huge range of classes. Having achieved its initial goals, BNHF is now focussed on developing and implementing a new vision – “Towards a Healthy City” – working with communities to develop mindful movement programmes in the more disadvantaged parts of Brighton and Hove to reduce health inequalities.
Please see our Chair application pack for full details on the role and who we are, the need we are addressing and our vision for the future.
We are looking for an active and engaged Chair who can provide strong leadership and guidance as we embark on our strategy for the next few years. You will play a leadership role both within the charity itself and in championing our mission to the outside world.
You will be joining at an exciting time and leading a committed, experienced and skilled Board and a dynamic and forward-looking organisation. As our new Chair you will help shape the next exciting phase of our future development as we develop our strategic business.
You will lead the Board as it sets strategic direction and oversee the good governance of the charity, and ensure it is meeting its charitable obligations. The Chair also leads the small management team, providing guidance, oversight and performance management. Key actions include:
- Providing strategic leadership to the charity, the Board and senior management, ensuring that BNHF achieves its mission, promoting a culture of openness and debate
- Ensuring the Board and management team develop, and work to, high standards of governance, financial oversight and risk management
- Preparing, chairing and facilitating Board meetings including encouraging discussion, summarising key points and ensuring decisions are made and implemented
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders including community organisations, the Council, health services, corporate partners, and other charities in related areas of work
- Act as a spokesperson, ambassador and figurehead for the charity
Skills, qualities and experience
You don’t need to have specific previous experience on a charity board to apply for the role of Chair but understanding or experience of the mental, physical and social health sector is highly desirable. We recognise that many of the skills required are transferable, and you may have gained them in other settings or through other relevant experience. These include:
- Significant experience of leadership and team-working in a senior management role in a non-profit or commercial organisation
- The ability to listen and engage effectively, an inclusive leadership style, able to inspire and support everyone to participate on an equal footing
- Sound judgement, good analytical skills and a keen sense of strategic purpose
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills and a willingness to advocate for and champion BNHF’s work through personal networks, social media, and other channels
- Energy and enthusiasm and a strong commitment to promoting equality and social justice
If you share our passion and enthusiasm for the developing mental, physical and social health in the community, enjoy thinking strategically and working collaboratively, and can bring diverse professional and personal experience to our Board, then we’d love to hear from you.
This is an active role, where time will need to be invested regularly outside of meetings to support the work of the Board and the charity. The key Chair responsibilities are likely to require up to 4 days per month including attending 4-6 in person two-hour Board meetings per year (usually in person), sub-committees where relevant and an annual strategic day.
All Trustees including the Chair are appointed for an initial three-year term of office and may stand for re-election after this period.
How to apply
Please submit an expression of interest in your preferred format – CV, written statement, video, etc. – telling us:
- Why you would like to lead the Board of Trustees at BNHF
- How your skills and experience match what we are looking for in a new Chair
Please email your application to email@example.com by 5pm on 26 February 2024. We will respond to you promptly and interviews will be held soon after this date.